Monday, December 6, 2010

Biotechnology

Unlike some of my friends, who may have second thoughts about choosing Biotechnology as their major, I knew since I was 6 years old that I wanted to be a scientist and nothing else!
And at a young age too I knew I wanted to be a plant scientist, with a vision that I can make this world a better place by improving the quality of corps in third world countries and thus improve their economy. Or at least increase the nutrients in crops and lessen the need of food supply, i.e Golden Rice. I had a biologist cum agriculturist cum agronomist as a father, which pretty much influence my intereset in agriculture :)
Then I went to college and actually Immunology interested me more, but plant was still close at heart. My electives were basicly Immunology based to feed my curiosity . If there was an Immunology and Infectious Disease minor, pasti dh boleh minor. My independent study was on plant biotech research and I'm quite proud with what I've achieved with my research.

Now that I'm back, it is good to know that there are more Bionexus status companies that are doing agriculture research. It make sense since Thrust 1 National Biotechnology Policy is Agriculture Biotechnology Development, no? 

So far, job hunting is quite challenging, most job offers in the Biotechnology industry are in Food Technology; of all biotech branches, I think food tech is the least that interest me. But as previously told, currently, I'm currently following BioTech Corp., BeST Programme.

2 comments: